How it all began…
Jose Palanca Yutivo, the founder, arrived in the Philippines virtually empty-handed and worked his way as an
apprentice for a local blacksmith shop. In 1884, his perseverance paid off when he established a hardware store of his
own. He brought in his sons years later and incorporated the company as Yutivo Sons Hardware on January 2, 1917.
ThThe War Era
During the 1940s, Yutivo collaborated with America’s General Motors Corporation, the world’s largest car assembler,
and became its spare parts distributor. Despite the Pacific War that crippled several businesses in the Philippines, the
company managed to recover and resumed operation a year later.
ThThe Post-War Years
As the country was rebuilding itself from war devastation, Yutivo expanded its operation to become a distributor of
GM trucks. The following years saw Yutivo establishing an assembly plant to locally assemble GM cars and trucks due
to explosive domestic demand. The Yutivo plant served as a pilot operation to develop low-volume GM completely
knocked-down (CKD) assembly procedures for a subsequent network of GM assembler-distributors worldwide. At
the time, Yutivo was the only non-GM plant in the world to manufacture GM cars and trucks.
During the Marcos regime, Yutivo actively participated in the government’s Progressive Car Manufacturing Program as
a public service contribution to Filipinos. In December of 1972, Yutivo joined hands with GM USA to bring about the
formation of a local GM subsidiary and subsequently turned over all operations to the new General Motors Filipinas.
Click for Yutivo Motors, information
This information was obtained from their corporate website.